The Centre for Human Rights, Equity and Inclusion invites you on Wednesday March 21, 2018 to York University's International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination 2018 event focusing on the theme of Sustaining Anti-Discrimination in the Era of Backlash .
Aligned with the international theme of "Promoting tolerance, inclusion, unity and respect for diversity in the context of combating racial discrimination1," this event brings together multi-sector panelists with diverse professional and personal expertise to discuss Canada’s ongoing efforts to address racial discrimination in an environment complicated by rising populism and intolerance.
The moderated session includes 5 panelists in a roundtable discussion; creating a forum through which participants can engage with Canadians approaching the nuanced, necessary conversation of sustainable anti-discrimination in an age where polarized opinions are the norm.
This event is free of charge and is open to all who are interested in participating in this important conversation.
- Denise Balkissoon, Journalist, Globe & Mail (Read full bio, here)
- Sunil Gurmukh, Counsel, Ontario Human Rights Commission (Read full bio, here)
- Arleen Huggins, Partner, Koskie Minsky LLP (Read full bio, here)
- Chizoba Imoka, PhD Candidate, Ontario Institute of Studies in Education, University of Toronto (Read full bio, here)
- Kira Williams, PhD Candidate, Geography, Wilfrid Laurier University (Read full bio here)
Map & Directions:
CLICK HERE to download a campus map indicating event location and parking options
CLICK HERE for Transit directions to Keele Campus. Reminder: TTC Subway Line 1 now connects directly to York University!
CLICK HERE for Driving directions to Keele Campus.
This event will have:
- Flat room entry (accessible by ramp)
- Real time captioning
- Accessible Washrooms (Women): rooms 1503, 2501, 2504, 3501, 4501, 0502
- Accessible Washrooms (Men): rooms 1504, 2503, 3500, 4500, 0500
- Accessible, Gender Neutral Barrier Free single stall washroom: room 1501
- For any accessibility-related accommodations, please contact Rachel Mansell at firstname.lastname@example.org
We would like to thank our partners, including the York University Community Safety Department.
1 For more information, see http://www.un.org/en/events/racialdiscriminationday/