Michelle Mohabeer is a Guyana born, Toronto based award winning filmmaker/media artist, photographer and lecturer. Her first feature Queer Coolie-tudes (2019) is a creative documentary, prior films include experimental documentaries: Blu In You (2008), Coconut/Cane & Cutlass (1994), and various shorts Echoes (2003), Tracing Soul (2000), TWO/DOH (1996), EXPOSURE (1990) and the experimental narrative Child-Play (1996).
Michelle Mohabeer is a lecturer at York University and her films and videos have been profiled and written about in: Film Fatales, The Romance of Transgression in Canada, North of Everything, The Bent Lens, Women’s Experimental Cinema, and Queering Canada: A Collection of Essays, The Caribbean Review of Gender Studies, among others.
- Queer Coolie-tudes [Writer/Producer/Director/ Visual Design/Camera]
Canada, 2019 Creative Essay Documentary 87 mins
- Blu In You [Writer/Producer/Director and Visual Design]
Canada/Tobago, 2008 Creative Essay Documentary 50 mins)
- Echoes (Canada/Grenada, 2003 Experimental 5 mins) Commissioned by Inside Out LGBTQ festival
- Tracing Soul (Canada, 2000 Experimental 6 mins) Commissioned by Ottawa LGBTQ film festival
- TWO/DOH (Canada, 1996 Experimental 6 mins)
- Child-Play (Canada/Tobago, 1996 Experimental Narrative 14 mins)
- Coconut/Cane & Cutlass (Canada/Guyana, 1994 Creative Doc. 32 mins)
- EXPOSURE (Canada, 1990 Documentary 8 mins). Commissioned by the Women’s Unit (Studio D) at the National Film Board of Canada.