Engagement, Education, Knowledge Exchange
We provide workshops, training, community events, and knowledge exchange opportunities that:
Support students, staff, and faculty in navigating current REI trends and topics ↗
With a focus on facilitating equitable and inclusive dialogue, training sessions are available by request to faculty, staff, and students.
Trainings provided by REI can also be tracked as part of employee professional development and learning plans.
REI hosts a knowledge exchange series featuring thought-leaders who are advancing human rights, equity, and inclusion through their teaching and research.
We highlight innovative faculty and graduate students at York and within the GTA, will stimulate dialogue, and will help highlight York University’s contributions as a leader in the sphere of human rights, equity, and inclusion.
Support the development of a culture of respect, equity, diversity, and inclusion at York University ↗
The Centre for Human Rights, Equity, and Inclusion (REI) helps facilitate learning to instill human rights, equity, and inclusion into all facets of York’s operations and governance.
Please note, under regular circumstances, we require at least three weeks’ notice to schedule and prepare training. Before making a request, you can browse our list of off-the-shelf sessions including the training sessions offered under the REDI workshop series.
Off-the-shelf Training Sessions
REI offers off-the-shelf and custom training sessions for groups or units to best respond to topics and concerns relevant to the unit.
Apart from the workshops provided under the REDI Workshop Series, here are additional examples of standard sessions provided by the Education team:
Human Rights 101 and/or an Introduction to REI
The workshop aims to give participants:
1. A basic understanding of the Ontario Human Rights Code (1962) and its implications for building a respectful workplace culture.
2. An opportunity to discuss key human rights terms and definitions and apply them in workplace-related scenarios.
3. A forum for sharing best practices and strategies for providing inclusive and equitable services.
Promoting Diversity and Inclusion
This introductory session will help participants gain an understanding of key terms, principles, and policies that frame and inform diversity and inclusion practices. Through discussion and reflection, participants will have an opportunity to strengthen their ability to foster inclusive spaces within the York community.
This workshop increases participants' awareness of unconscious bias and perception filters. Through the session, participants will:
1. Understand factors in decision-making that we are not usually aware of
2. Brainstorm strategies to change our behaviour and ways of thinking
3. Increase their capacity as inclusive leaders
Through this workshop, participants will gain:
1. A better understanding of key principles related to inclusive leadership and advocacy;
2. Improved and enhanced capacity to support their peers and lead with awareness of their own positionality; and
3. An opportunity to practice applying effective leadership strategies.
View the latest REDI schedule by clicking below