In commemoration of Black History Month, RISE invites you to join us on Wednesday February 14, 2018 as we recognize the Library’s new Critical Race Theory research guide and celebrate the works of Anton Wilhelm Amo, the first known Enlightenment philosopher of African descent.
This event is free of charge and is open to all who are interested in participating in this important conversation. For more information, visit: http://rights.info.yorku.ca/bhm2018/
- For any accessibility-related accommodations, please contact Natasha Prashad at email@example.com
This event is co-sponsored by RISE and York University Libraries.
RISE was established in 2016 to enhance the university community’s ability to bring issues of race and racism to the forefront of conversations on York campuses. RISE reports to the President's Advisory Committee on Human Rights (PACHR), and is supported by the Centre for Human Rights, Equity, and Inclusion.
The RISE Committee aims to foster an inclusive environment with the purpose of working towards the elimination of racism at York University. Recognizing the intersection of race with other personal identities which fall under the protected grounds of the Ontario Human Rights Code including age, ancestry, citizenship, creed (religion), colour, disability, ethnic origin, family status, gender identity (gender expression), marital status, sex (including pregnancy), place of origin, record of offences, receipt of public assistance, and sexual orientation, the Committee aims to create mechanisms for support and proactive institutional practices to remove barriers and increase access and agency for York’s racialized members.
Committee members will provide proactive consultations on:
- Policy review and revision
- Program development
- Resources development
- Community engagement initiatives
- OHRC Human Rights 101
- OHRC Racial discrimination (brochure)
- Statement to the media by the United Nations’ Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent, on the conclusion of its official visit to Canada, 17-21 October 2016
- International Decade for People of African Descent
- Truth & Reconciliation Commission of Canada
- Terms of Reference
- Join RISE - Coming Soon!